Thursday, January 10, 2013

Making Changes

After Christmas I began to notice that I was having frequent stomach pains.  All I wanted was hot baths and a heating pad when that was over.  I began to wonder if I might be reacting to something that I was eating.  The first thing I took out was wheat and I noticed a difference almost right away.  After a few days of no wheat I was really missing my morning toast.  Eggs without toast and oatmeal without toast is like tea without honey :)  So I decided that if wheat was making me sick than perhaps I could still have wheat if it was fermented first.  So I made this overnight bread and enjoyed it very much with my oatmeal.  It didn't take very long, maybe an hour or so and I was having the pains again.  Over the course of the day it got worse so that by the time the kiddos were in bed I was in the tub again.  I love a good bath, but this was getting a little ridiculous!  Toast with my breakfast is not worth a day of pain.

So it has been almost a week now since I've had wheat and while I still miss that option, I am feeling better.  I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that I have more energy, but it is actually a possibility.  I have not been drinking kambucha lately as it was turning my stomach a little and my energy levels have been pretty high considering I'm still in my first trimester.  So maybe the lack of wheat is helping in more ways than one.  I'm not sure if this is a permanent thing or if pregnancy is just making me extra sensitive, but maybe it is the kick I need to remove more wheat from our diet.

So for breakfast I've been having soaked oatmeal or eggs.  I tried this zucchini date bread this morning and while it's not awful it's not exactly something I'd jump out of bed for either.  Maybe I'll try to toast it tomorrow and see if that helps.  Otherwise I haven't really missed wheat too much.  I often make the kids and I gluten free pancakes - we've been eating them that way for months - so I can still enjoy those.  We often eat rice noodles instead of wheat. The other day I made gluten free wraps that I've made a few times already.  I'm guessing it'll be just like how it's been for TR - easy enough at home, it's when you go visiting that it becomes a problem. 

I am so very thankful that I found the connection between the wheat and my stomach pains so quickly - and also that I live in this day.  A generation ago most people didn't even know you could be unable to digest wheat.  There weren't even that many other options.  I have so many options for replacements in my diet and there are so many resources (like the library!!) for learning. 

2 comments:

  1. I need those recipes for the gluten free wraps! although we've taken to lettuce wraps, or corn tortillas. Naomi has a recipe for gluten free biscuits, I'll have to get that, maybe you will like it toasted with your eggs?
    I feel so much better wheat free. and it hasn't been too bad *yet* at others houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of a long recipe Leanne. I will try to photocopy it though. I would love a recipe for good biscuits. I tried some rice flatbread with my oatmeal this morning - not very good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!