Well, last summer felt very difficult. We didn't go to very many campfires with other people. We didn't go on many picnics. We tried desperately not to eat hotdogs or marshmallows.
In a lot of ways it is much easier for me than for TR and the kids. And in other ways it is much harder for me. Easier because I never really liked marshmallows and they just love them. TR used to eat handfuls of the small ones as a snack. It's hard on the kids because they want to eat all the food they see other people eating. They want the pop, the chips, the sugary treats, hotdogs filled with who-knows-what - and the white bleached bun that goes with it. I know why we're eating different. All they see are the things they can't have that their cousins are enjoying. It's harder for me because bringing the healthier food takes more work. It takes more time. It takes a little more planning and forethought.
Here are a few things that I'm hoping will make this summer easier than last:
- There is a company now making "Natural" hotdogs. They are still made with pork (which we avoid as best we can) and it's not organic. But it is better and so I feel a little better about my family eating them. I don't want to be bringing these to every picnic, but at least it is an option now.
- I've discovered that my kids like canned chicken and mayo sandwiches - which is a quick easy thing to make when we decide last minute to have lunch at the park (which we did about 2 weeks ago. It was so great!)
- I've become a little more relaxed about some things. TR is doing so much better this year and it makes it easier to treat ourselves to the convenience foods once in a while.
- I've discovered they now make Organic chocolate fudge cookies! We had some on our vacation and the kids love them. Still not the best but if we're going to have a treat, it's nice it's organic.
- I'm hoping to sit down and make a list of some things I can do in advance to make spur of the moment outings easier. If I'm prepared with what we can eat on a picnic I'm sure if will be healthier than if I just wait until TR comes home and says "so and so wants to go". If I do this it will make things so much easier and less stressful.
So once I have my ideas for menus we can take on the go I will try to share them with you! Summer is so fun and short and we all just love campfires and cooking over the fire. If you have any ideas please let me know!