Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's becoming a habit

So, after some good advice, I have been trying very hard. And it's quickly becoming a habit! I used to do it some, but now I am doing it way more often.

I am freezing.

Cooking extra in order to freeze.

Here's some examples:

~ Cook 1/2 a chicken. Whatever we don't eat I take off the bones and freeze, or plan to use in the next couple of days. Usually I just left the meat for leftovers, but taking it off the bones makes it so much easier to use and less gets wasted. We usually have enough for leftovers and a new meal.

~ Made meatloaf and formed a few hamburger patties to freeze.

~ Made twice as many perogies as I needed in order to freeze some.

~ Made twice as much chicken pot pie filling as I needed and froze it in a casserole dish. Added some mashed potatoes and threw it in the oven for a super quick potluck meal this week!

~ Make a big batch of waffles whenever I make them and throw the leftovers in the freezer. I freeze them on a cookie sheet and then throw them in a bag when they're frozen.

~ Made homemade cream of chicken soup the other day and froze what I didn't need for that recipe for later.

~ Cooked up 2 salmon instead of just one. Saved energy from using the oven only once instead of twice and now I have extra de-boned salmon in the freezer just waiting to be made into patties!

~ I save all my bread crusts now to be made into crumbs.

It is becoming second nature to me to think about how I can stretch everything so that less is wasted and my time is better used. It makes things way less stressful in the kitchen and I usually end up with a couple of quick simple meals a week just from cooking more on other days and preserving it. I LOVE IT!

Thanks Leanne for giving me a good swift nudge in the right direction!

How do you save time in the kitchen? When you make more and save for another meal do you try to make the new meal different?

1 comment:

  1. I have been so tired lately I have been forgetting to follow my own advice. Its so much better when I do!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!