Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How do you cook? Part I

I was inspired the other day to do a post on how we cook around here. A friend of mine got rid of their microwave and it reminded me of when we said goodbye to ours. Ironically we did it months before we changed our diet - it was a wonderful blessing that we didn't really see at the time, but looking back I can see it was just one of the wonderful ways that God has helped us to change slowly over time. Definitely there have been a few intense moments where it felt like nothing would fall into place and I was a little overwhelmed with the change - but overall since I prayed and gave it over to God it has been fairly smooth sailing!

Anyway I am digressing from my topic! Give me a little space to write and who knows how many rabbit trails I'll take :)

Okay - the microwave.

We don't have one.

We haven't had one for 2 years.

Why not?
  • it broke.
  • we were broke.

Therefore: No new microwave.

It was mostly my doing. TR really would have gone out and bought a new one. He felt pretty dependent on it. But we really didn't have much money and every part of our budget was stretched thin. Craving a little security, I really didn't want to spend money we didn't have to. I wanted to buy groceries instead. (go figure!)

So we decided to give it a trial period. We would go without until we had the money for a new one - unless we decided that we could get by without it.

And we did.

We got by without it.

At first it was a little challenging. TR had to figure out how to reheat his coffee (which, back then he did multiple times before it was gone!). I had to figure out how to reheat leftovers. I had to learn how to melt chocolate chips and butter (who knew you could use the stove?!) We learned how to quickly defrost buns when TR got called out to work expectantly. I learned to take meat out early so it could defrost before I needed it.


After a while we re-evaluated it and decided that we just didn't need it. In fact - our lives felt better without it.

I can recall a few times going to other peoples homes after we'd been without it for a while and feeling surprised that they were using the microwave. I guess I had forgotten it existed! That's how much I miss it :)

(Look for Part II coming soon with pictures of the different ways we cook now that we don't have a microwave!)

3 comments:

  1. you make me feel guilty! I know it is not good for you, but man I am dependant on it. its so much faster! so in part two will you share how you reheat leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Leanne! I am sorry that it makes you feel guilty. But to be honest it's not me so much as your conscience :)

    Having our microwave die on us was a huge blessing and I'm sure it would have been much harder to get rid of one that still worked. Don't be too hard on yourself. Or just get rid of yours. Who know? Maybe you'll like it :)

    I will definitely share how we reheat leftovers! I'm just taking some pictures and then I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it totally is my conscience! I know I know we should toss it. maybe I will have the nerve soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!