Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My New Favourite Dip

In all our married years I don't recall ever buying dip from the store.  Since TR can't do most store dairy products it's just one of those things that stays at the store.  But it hasn't ever really been wanted that much anyway.  After all there are salad dressings (like creamy cucumber) that you can use to dip vegetables, and flavoured chips don't really need dip.  Since we've changed our diet we very very very rarely will eat flavoured chips.  We stick to the regular non-msg chips.  Actually it's more than just msg that we're staying away from in flavoured chips - they also come with a whole schwackload of other nasty additives.  So we decided that we'd just stick to the regular if we were going to have chips.  After a while of just regular though it's easy to begin missing other flavours that we're used to. 
A few weeks ago I started making some dip with some Epicure spices for my kids.  They love dipping their vegetables in dip and since we don't even do store salad dressing anymore I decided that I'd just have to make some for them.  I really love the combination of mayonnaise, yogurt and spices.  For veggies I've been using the Italian Dressing.  The one thing I've learned though is I can't just mix some and serve it - it needs time to sit, preferably several hours. 
When I was a child I used to like the "dill" dip from the store the most, so the other day I decided to give it a try.  This time I just did mostly yogurt with some mayo (next time I'm trying all yogurt so it'll be even healthier) and some frozen dill blended together.  TR was pretty skeptical because of the yogurt (which he doesn't like) but he loved the dip.  It didn't taste at all like yogurt.  In fact it tasted very much like the store stuff I remember.  Creamy dill. Yum!
* On a sidenote the yogurt I used was partially drained so it was thicker. I just use a tea towel held over a bowl with an elastic hairband and allow the yogurt to drip until it's thick. Usually several hours. And our yogurt is homemade so he can eat it :)

Now that I've discovered this I can't wait to try other flavours!  Like cheddar (with Epicure's mac and cheese), garlic and green onion, chili, bbq (Epicure's bbq spice), the possibilities are endless!! 

1 comment:

  1. oh my, you are making me SO hungry!! I've had chips and dip in so long!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!